Baud Rate Change Attempt Bricks ESP-01

Joe WeatherBalloon

Baud Rate Change Attempt Bricks ESP-01

Postby Joe WeatherBalloon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:15 am

Greetings!

I experimented with my ESP8266 ESP-01 through Termite and verified I was able to connect to my test device. After a second verification, I investigated methods to drive the ESP-01 through an Arduino Pro Mini. The Pro Mini has a single UART. Thinking I would need to monitor the ESP-01 communications, I thought I would use SoftwareSerial for the ESP-01 and use the UART to show communications through the Serial Monitor. In order to use SoftwareSerial with the ESP-01, I needed to change the baud rate from 115200 (default) to something under 57600; I chose 9600.

I don't recall if I used AT+CIOBAUD=9600 or AT+IPR=9600. The end result was the output from the ESP-01 was not readable.

I researched the issue and found many ideas. Re-flashing the ESP-01 seemed the most common. I put together a flashing circuit and, according to the flashing program, successfully re-flashed the ESP-01 (four bin files). The output was still not readable. I tried flashing ESP_8266_BIN0.92.bin and the output was still not readable. One suggestion was to connect TX to RX together and connect the power for two minutes. After the last experiment, I am unable to flash the ESP-01.

I suspect my ESP-01 has entered the realm of an amusing conversation piece but I would like some confirmation. Thoughts?

Lastly, what is a safe method of changing the baud rate on an ESP-01?

Thanks!
Joe

pratik

Re: Baud Rate Change Attempt Bricks ESP-01

Postby pratik » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:09 pm

One suggestion was to connect TX to RX together and connect the power for two minutes.

I hope you didn't do this, its never a good idea and can kill a lot of MCUs that have totem pole outputs.

By the way, did you try baud rate of 74880 to see what the ESP8266 is printing out?
Regards,
Pratik Panda

Custom firmware, Knowledge base and freelancing (ESP8266/ESP32):
http://www.iot-bits.com

Joe WeatherBalloon

Re: Baud Rate Change Attempt Bricks ESP-01

Postby Joe WeatherBalloon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:17 am

pratik wrote:By the way, did you try baud rate of 74880 to see what the ESP8266 is printing out?

Hello Pratik!

Thanks for the prompt reply! Unfortunately, I did connect Tx to Rx. The claim was it brought back two ESP-01s. It is, of course, one of my more boneheaded moves but nothing else corrected the issue.

I have placed an order to replace the ESP-01.

Regarding your question about a specific baud rate - I tried available (i.e., available from a droplist) baud rates from 9600 and up with no readable responses. How did you arrive at 74880? It might be something I try if this issue occurs again.

Thanks!
Joe