routing protocol in demo_mesh ?

LPerezBustos

routing protocol in demo_mesh ?

Postby LPerezBustos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:05 am

Hi, I'm working on implementation of ad-hoc networks through WiFi-ESP8266 module. Have you work in this kind of project ?
I took a look at demo_mesh as a good first step but it is kind of M-ary tree. I would like to implement proactive or reactive routing protocols on it by sharing routing information between nodes. Mesh API's have the functions to control this at mac and network layers ?

ESP_Alen

Re: routing protocol in demo_mesh ?

Postby ESP_Alen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:32 pm

LPerezBustos wrote:Hi, I'm working on implementation of ad-hoc networks through WiFi-ESP8266 module. Have you work in this kind of project ?
I took a look at demo_mesh as a good first step but it is kind of M-ary tree. I would like to implement proactive or reactive routing protocols on it by sharing routing information between nodes. Mesh API's have the functions to control this at mac and network layers ?

Hi, Could you describe the detail information about your solution ?

LPerezBustos

Postby LPerezBustos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:47 pm

ESP_Alen wrote:
LPerezBustos wrote:Hi, I'm working on implementation of ad-hoc networks through WiFi-ESP8266 module. Have you work in this kind of project ?

I don't have a solution yet, I'm in design process and just wondering if ESP8266 is able to implement IEEE 802.11 ad-hoc mode by using mesh API's.

ESP_Alen

Postby ESP_Alen » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:24 am

LPerezBustos wrote:
ESP_Alen wrote:

I don't have a solution yet, I'm in design process and just wondering if ESP8266 is able to implement IEEE 802.11 ad-hoc mode by using mesh API's.

We hope it's useful to you.

gmag11

Postby gmag11 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:17 am

I am working in a project like that. Have a look to https://gitlab.com/BlackEdder/painlessMesh

It is a non IP, JSON based messages mesh.

Regards,
Germán

IMAN4K

Postby IMAN4K » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 pm

It's worth to clarify that non of the available solutions are a truly ad-hoc network(neither painlessMesh nor ESP-MESH). they all end up in a star network topology that depend on a single node(single point of failure).
if look forward a real mesh network(self-healing + self-organize) with existing IEEE802.11b/g/n standards you should stick to IEEE802.11s by modifying the mac layer implementations.
We hope espressif will get it done in future or at least publish their implementations so others have the chance to make it happen.

Regards.
Iman.

Helptisis

Postby Helptisis » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:15 pm

IMAN4K wrote:It's worth to clarify that non of the available solutions are a truly ad-hoc network(neither painlessMesh nor ESP-MESH). they all end up in a star network topology that depend on a single node(single point of failure).
if look forward a real mesh network(self-healing + self-organize) with existing IEEE802.11b/g/n standards you should stick to IEEE802.11s by modifying the mac layer implementations.
We hope espressif will get it done in future or at least publish their implementations so others have the chance to make it happen.

Regards.
Iman.

Not all the time IEEE802.11b/g/n be existing.
Testing by mysefl aswell.
But still good opinion.Thanks!
God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well. -Voltaire
New hobby,start at 2018.

gmag11

Postby gmag11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 pm

It is true that mesh topology on PainlessMesh is a star shape, actually it is a tree. Every node may have up to 4 direct subnodes, due to ESP8266 limitation.Probably this limit may be higher on ESP32.
There is always a root node, but PainlessMesh is self healing. If any node disappears, including root node, network will rearrange itself within a few (configurable) seconds. So, any other node will became root node dynamically.
In any moment all nodes are aware of network topology.

You can read project Wiki: https://gitlab.com/BlackEdder/painlessMesh/wikis/home#network-layout

Regards

IMAN4K wrote:It's worth to clarify that non of the available solutions are a truly ad-hoc network(neither painlessMesh nor ESP-MESH). they all end up in a star network topology that depend on a single node(single point of failure).

Regards.
Iman.