Configuring and running the MESH demo

neostar

Configuring and running the MESH demo

Postby neostar » Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi

Usecase:
I would like to control my lights through wifi and since some of my lights are far away from my router, i understand that MESH demo is the right application for this usecase as these devices can make up for that loss in wifi signal. I have the following questions.

[*] From the user guide i understand that the mesh demo does not require a pc to operate or control it, but in the steps to be followed for running the mesh demo i see that demo_server.py is run. Why should i run it ? How to run the demo without running demo_server.py ?
[*] How to configure a device as Root node and as a Non-root node ? Is it auto configured ?

The code i am referring to is --> https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_MESH_DEMO.git

ESP_Alen

Re: Configuring and running the MESH demo

Postby ESP_Alen » Tue May 24, 2016 5:17 pm

neostar wrote:Hi

Usecase:
I would like to control my lights through wifi and since some of my lights are far away from my router, i understand that MESH demo is the right application for this usecase as these devices can make up for that loss in wifi signal. I have the following questions.

[*] From the user guide i understand that the mesh demo does not require a pc to operate or control it, but in the steps to be followed for running the mesh demo i see that demo_server.py is run. Why should i run it ? How to run the demo without running demo_server.py ?
[*] How to configure a device as Root node and as a Non-root node ? Is it auto configured ?

The code i am referring to is --> https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_MESH_DEMO.git

1. You don't need the demo_server.py. when the device fails to connect server, it will switch to LOCAL mesh.
2. All the nodes with the same image bin, and they are auto configured.

neostar

Postby neostar » Thu May 26, 2016 12:46 pm

@Alan Thanks for the reply.

ESP_Alen

Postby ESP_Alen » Fri May 27, 2016 11:31 am

You are welcome.

neostar

Postby neostar » Sat May 28, 2016 4:05 pm

@Alan If have 5 nodes flashed with the same bin meaning they all have the same SSID and passcode to connect to the router
I have the following questions :

1. If all of the nodes are in range of the router will all of them connect to the router directly ?
2. If one of the nodes gets far away from the router will that node be automatically connected to the nearest node it can find ?

Thanks for the reply

ESP_Alen

Postby ESP_Alen » Sat May 28, 2016 5:27 pm

neostar wrote:@Alan If have 5 nodes flashed with the same bin meaning they all have the same SSID and passcode to connect to the router
I have the following questions :

1. If all of the nodes are in range of the router will all of them connect to the router directly ?
2. If one of the nodes gets far away from the router will that node be automatically connected to the nearest node it can find ?

Thanks for the reply

1. No, when node tries to join mesh, it scans AP around firstly, if it finds mesh AP working, it try to join mesh AP rather than router AP.
If it fails to find mesh AP, it will try to connect router.
2. Yes, when it scans more than one mesh AP, it select parent node according to RSSI/assoc/capacity.

foad62

Postby foad62 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi,
@Alen
So what is the role of demo_server.py ?