I'm quite new to ESP8266, I've done just few trials with a third-party module.
I'm working on an extremely low-power sensor and I'm not sure about the performances of the modules.
Here a brief description of my application:
- battery powered (non rechargeable)
- acquire sensors using I2C and analog lines every 5 minutes
- connect to access point and send the data on a TCP socket (HTTP GET)
Of course in the rest of the time I disable all the other circuits on the board (cutting the power with a mosfet).
The goal is to select a battery that will last at least for 150,000 connections to the server.
Here my questions:
1. I read through the datasheets but I cannot find a comparison charts among the modules. Anyway, as far as I understand the WROOM-02 has an MCU onboard, while the WROOM-S2 has just a flash memory. Hence, I could write my application directly in the MCU with -02, or I must use an external MCU to use -S2, right?
2. in the datasheet I find an indication of the power consumption in mA in the various states, but I'm looking for a graph of the actual current consumption versus time. Then I will integrate this curve to estimate the mAh needed to make a connection and an HTTP GET request.
You're right about -02 being standalone and -s2 requiring an external controller interfaced via SDIO bus.
The power consumption trends depend on a lot of factors, including oscillator frequency, GPIO states, flash power consumption, etc.
For your application, please use a data logger to monitor current consumption over time. The datasheet values are for guidance only.
Newbies Start Here
Are you new to ESP8266?
Unsure what to do?
Dunno where to start?
Start right here!
We also have a RTOS version and a MESH version too!
Complete listing of the official ESP8266 related documentation release by ESPRESSIF!
Must read here!