In fact a software toolkit supporting One-Press-Programming is already available for months under windows operating systems, which issues RTS signal to control the power/chip_en/nReset for a hardware reboot, and issue DTR signal to toggle the GPIO0 for flash burning timing automatically. Meanwhile, the software toolkit is not just a download toolkit, but one in combination of debug and dowanload capabilities with many interesting features
more than listed below.
You could get the software toolkit downloaded from outside China: https://github.com/Anylinkin/ESP8266/tr ... /S8266WIFI
from inside China: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1pJy3bUN
: open the folder and download freely the compressed file ESP8266EX_Debug_and_Download_Toolkit_Vx.x.x.tar only if you are familiar with English. And there is an English user's manual document in the downloaded package. The toolkit support language switch between Chinese and English as well.Features for your information
1. Auto-Search the COM port number and baud rate an ESP8266EX module attached, without any troubles due to forget or not know the baud rate of an attached Espressif module.
2. Adaptive Baud Rate matching with 74880bps supported, to avoid unread codes during bootstrap which is helpful for cause-locating and trouble-shooting.
3. Supporting COM port number above 10 without any necessity to adjust the COM number from the computer side.
4. Capable of communicating both in Hexadecimal and normal ASCII mode.
5. Available with a quick launch to some frequently used AT commands.
6. Available with a capability to boot the ESP8266EX module from serial port.
7. Available with a flexible flash downloading interface
- With On-Press-Program® (OPP®) capabilities
- Supporting various types of Flash Map and SPI configuration
- With more debug information output for debugging,
- Supporting GPIO selection for LED indicator, and
- Supporting downloading speed selection during flash programming for different performance of hardware
8. Supporting various types of modules based on ESP8266EX SOC
9. Supporting various Windows Operation Systems.
10. More to be found out.
The last but not the least, I also strongly suggest to use the download tool by Espressif if possible. Meanwhile, if you expect to get some more features, you may have a try with the software toolkit, as many developpers said it brings about convenience.
Hope it will be helpful.
I second that, using DTR/RTS to drive GPIO0 and Reset is a brilliantly simple idea and makes life much easier.
I wish to use this tool but I am unable to, because it cannot drive DTR and RTS lines, which are connected to CHIP_EN and GPIO0.
Can you please add the same functionality as in esptool
- controlling DTR and RST lines for automatic reset -> switch to UART boot mode when pressing START and reset -> switch to SPI boot mode afterwards (when pressing STOP)?
themadinventor/esptool wrote:If GPIO0 and GPIO15 is pulled down and GPIO2 is pulled high when the module leaves reset,
then the bootloader will enter the UART download mode. The ROM auto-bauds, that is, it will
automagically detect which baud rate you are using. esptool defaults to 115200.
esptool uses the RTS and DTR modem status lines to automatically enter the bootloader.
Connect RTS to CH_PD (which is used as active-low reset) and DTR to GPIO0.