NRF24L01 NONOS SDK

AgentSmithers

NRF24L01 NONOS SDK

Postby AgentSmithers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi everyone,
Has anyone finished working with the device NRF24L01 with their ESP8266.
It run's off SPI, Does that mean I need to use HSPI to communicate with the device due to the Normal SPI being reserved for the SPIFlash memory?

It appears the NRF24L01 has a "CE" Chip enable pin to kick it into different modes, Is this something I need to handle specifically myself when making SPI calls?

Thank you!

iot-bits.com

Re: NRF24L01 NONOS SDK

Postby iot-bits.com » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Yeah, you would need to use HSPI for this. The CE pin is automatically handled by the HSPI hardware if you like it that way. Or you could just have the CE pin connected to a GPIO and control is manually, whatever works best for your application.
- Pratik Panda
Nerd and Embedded Design Consultant
www.iot-bits.com

AgentSmithers

Postby AgentSmithers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 am

iot-bits.com wrote:Yeah, you would need to use HSPI for this. The CE pin is automatically handled by the HSPI hardware if you like it that way. Or you could just have the CE pin connected to a GPIO and control is manually, whatever works best for your application.

You mean directly connect it to SS/CSN?
Isnt SS by default High and goes low when the Master is trying to send data to the slave but CE needs to go from low to high?

AgentSmithers

Postby AgentSmithers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:05 pm

So I think I got SPI working a bit better, Does this look correct judging from the Protocol?
*Image attached*
Attachments
Outcome.png

iot-bits.com

Postby iot-bits.com » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:44 pm

You can use GPIO then, if the CS signal is inverted.
The signal looks okay to me, there seem to be no errors, otherwise you'd see that in the logic analyser.
- Pratik Panda
www.iot-bits.com

AgentSmithers

Postby AgentSmithers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 am

iot-bits.com wrote:You can use GPIO then, if the CS signal is inverted.
The signal looks okay to me, there seem to be no errors, otherwise you'd see that in the logic analyser.

Thanks! I am looking through the documents and trying to identify MISO being 0xE and 0xF and what that means. I assume some sort of ACK packet but I haven't found anything yet in the Datasheet.

iot-bits.com

Postby iot-bits.com » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:07 am

I haven't worked with this particular chip, but I'm sure you'd figure it out, huge community support for the nRF chip! :)
The bigger problem is always the ESP8266 HSPI interface, which is not too well documented. And then RF board layout stuff.
- Pratik Panda
www.iot-bits.com