smartconfig

davide

smartconfig

Postby davide » Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to connect my esp8266 devices to my AP via the espressif APP (for Android). But the APP works properly only if the AP has an internet connection. Could someone tell me why? Internet connection is mandatory?
If the AP does not have an internet connection, is not possible to type the SSID, but it's possible to type only the password.

Thanks in advance for your help

Davide

Nielson

Re: smartconfig

Postby Nielson » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:44 pm

Hi there I was using "IoT smartconfig" app and it worked fine when i typed my network nameTo explain further to the OP: headless IOT devices have an inherent problem: how do you configure the ssid/password for a new network? The answer is to support a "base station" mode, in which the esp8266 actually becomes a wifi base station with its own SSID. You then connect your phone/pc to its wifi network and via some DNS routing you will find yourself at a web page served directly from the esp8266 that lets you save a new ssid/password pair to the eprom. Then restart the device in wifi client mode and profit.means that ESP8266 Smartconfig App didn't have permission to get wifi network name(in recent android version Location permission is needed to get wifi network name as you can theoretically use it to determine user location), you can still type it manually if app allows it. Hope it will be helpful to you.